Whether you’re looking for a fresh start or just want to clean up your old social activity, you might have wanted to delete your old Facebook posts. And unlike other social networking platforms, Facebook does give you a native way (both on the web as well as on the mobile app) to selectively edit or delete old posts in bulk.
But still, it could be a slow and tedious process to go through all that history and clean it anyway. So here, we’re going to explore an alternative method to quickly remove old Facebook posts in bulk.
- 1 Delete multiple Facebook posts in bulk [Official method]
- 2 Automatically delete (all) Facebook posts in bulk
- 3 FAQ
Delete multiple Facebook posts in bulk [Official method]
Recently, Facebook has released a new feature called Manage Activity that provides better management options than was available before. With this new feature, you can now archive or delete your old Facebook posts in bulk.
Selectively delete or archive Facebook posts in bulk (Manage Activity) using the Facebook iOS/Android app
- Open the Facebook app on your iPhone, iPad, or Android device.
- Choose Menu from the bottom-right corner and tap on your Profile link.
- Tap the three dots next to the Add Story button right below your profile picture.
- Choose Activity Log.
- From the options on the top, tap on Manage Activity >> Your Posts.
- Select the posts you want to delete or archive, by tapping the checkbox next to your posts.
- If you’re looking for specific posts, you can tap on Filters on top, and filter posts by Category (All; Text updates, check-ins, notes and more; Photos and videos; Posts from other apps), Date or People.
- Once the preferred posts are selected, tap on Archive or Recycle bin to archive or delete them.
Note: When you Archive posts, you can restore them to your profile at any time. Alternatively, items in the Recycle bin are automatically deleted after 30 days.
You can access your archived posts or posts in Recycle bin, by heading into your Profile >> Activity Log and tapping on either the Archive or Recycle bin buttons on top.
Facebook also allows you to selectively delete or remove posts from your timeline from right within the Facebook app or website. The below steps will guide you to delete your Facebook post history in bulk.
Selectively hide, delete or untag Facebook posts in bulk via Facebook website (PC/Mac)
- Open Facebook.com on your favorite web browser and log into your Facebook account if not already done.
- Click on your name in the top-left (alongside the Facebook search bar) to go to your Profile.
- Right below the new post composer, click on the Manage Posts button. Your posts will be displayed in reverse chronological order.
- Use the filters on the left to filter posts by “Anyone”, “You”, or “Others”. You can also filter the posts where you’re tagged or based on when it was posted.
- Use the checkboxes located on the top-right corner of each post, to mark them for deletion. Note that you can only select up to 50 posts at once.
- Once you’ve selected the intended posts, click on the Next button at the bottom.
- Now, you’ll get the option to “Hide posts”, “Remove tags”, or “Delete posts” depending on the types of posts selected. Select the appropriate option and click on the Done button.
Selectively hide, delete or untag Facebook posts in bulk via Facebook Mobile (iOS/Android)
- Launch the Facebook app on your iPhone or Android device, and log in with your Facebook credentials if not already done.
- Click on the Menu icon in the bottom-right corner and tap on your name to View your Profile.
- Scroll down and click on the Manage Posts button below the new post composer. Your posts will appear in the reverse chronological order.
- Tap on the top-left Filters button, and use them appropriately to filter out posts by date, privacy, or based on who posted it. Similar to the web app, you can also filter posts where you have been tagged.
- Use the circular checkboxes to mark the posts you want to delete, hide from timeline or untag.
- Once selected, tap on one of the icons in the bottom left, and choose from “Delete”, “Hide from timeline”, or “Remove tag”.
- Confirm your action to save the changes.
Note: Based on your posts selection, some bulk options, such as “Delete posts”, may be unavailable. This is applicable for certain types of posts, like profile photo updates, posts you didn’t create, or posts with certain privacy settings. If you aren’t able to bulk-delete posts, ensure you uncheck the ones which aren’t posted by you, and then try again.
You can return to your Facebook timeline later and remove the remaining posts individually, by clicking on the three dots adjacent to the post on the timeline, and selecting “Hide from timeline”, “Delete”, or “Remove tag”, whichever is applicable.
Automatically delete (all) Facebook posts in bulk
The above method for bulk post deletion is usable, but not convenient if you wish to clean up possibly hundreds of old Facebook posts at once. Here, you have to manually scroll through all your historical posts, select them for deletion and then, finally click on Done to make it happen. Moreover, the above process has a limitation where you can only remove up to 50 posts in bulk.
For these reasons, the official method of deleting Facebook posts in bulk isn’t ideal for every situation. Instead, you can try the below third-party Chrome extension which works quite reliably to bulk-delete your Facebook history.
Delete Facebook post history in bulk (Chrome Extension)
Social Book Post Manager is a Chrome Extension that automates the task of deleting your Facebook posts in bulk from Facebook’s Activity Log. It has quite a few options to search and delete posts matching specific criteria, which you can use on top of Facebook’s built-in filters.
Social Book Post Manager lets you search posts by year & month, based on the presence (Text Contains) or absence (Text Not Contains) of specific keywords. You can also determine if you want to preview the selections (Prescan on Page) by the app before confirming the changes, and you can choose the speed of automation (from 0.25x incrementally up to 16x).
Depending on the type of post, Social Book Post Manager will let you “Delete”, “Unlike”, “Hide/Unhide”, Change Privacy or “Backup” posts matching your criteria.
Follow the steps below to bulk-delete your Facebook post history using Social Book Post Manager.
- Go ahead and install the Social Book Post Manager extension in Chrome.
- Go to Facebook.com in Chrome and log into your Facebook account if not already done.
- Click on your name in the top-left (alongside the Facebook search bar) to go to your Profile.
- Click on Activity Log in the bottom-right corner of your Cover image.
- Use the Filters available on the left side appropriately to filter out posts matching certain specific criteria.
- Now click on the extension from the top-right corner of Chrome to launch Social Book Post Manager.
- Use the available filters like “Year”, “Month”, “Text Contains” and “Text Not Contains” to select posts matching the respective criteria. If you want to delete all posts, choose “Select All” in the dropdown for both Year and Month.
- Optionally, check on “Prescan on Page” if you want to review the selections post scanning.
- Choose a suitable speed of automation, between 0.25x and 16x.
- Finally, click on “Delete”, “Privacy”, “Hide/Unhide”, “Unlike” or “Backup” to perform respective actions on the selected posts matched by given criteria.
The extension will scan your Facebook Activity log for posts matching the defined criteria and automatically mark them for deletion. If you’ve selected “Prescan on Page” option in Step #8 before, you’ll get a chance to review the selected items for deletion and then Confirm the changes.
- Depending on how many posts you have, you might need to run the extension multiple times to remove all of the posts you want to delete.
- If the extension doesn’t seem to work the first time after installation, disable/uninstall all other Chrome extensions, clear the cache, reinstall this extension, restart your browser, then try again.
- If the extension misses some of the selected posts or not working as intended, try lowering the speed a little.
- While the extension is running, do not scroll or click anywhere on the page or switch to a different page, as it would interrupt the extension’s operations and cause unintended results. If you want to abort the operation, simply close the browser tab for Facebook.
The official and third-party methods are both capable of effectively deleting Facebook posts in bulk. If you know of any other app that’s worth mentioning in this list, let us know in the comments below.
Can you mass delete Facebook posts?
Facebook does let you delete Facebook posts in bulk, both via the Facebook website or the official iOS and Android apps. To mass-delete posts, you can go to your Profile page, click on the Manage Posts button, select the posts you want to delete, and then choose the Delete option.
Alternatively, Social Book Post Manager can help you mass delete Facebook posts. This article details the process of how to use the utility.
Can you delete all Facebook posts at once?
Facebook lets you selectively delete multiple posts, up to 50 posts at once, by using the Manage Posts option on your profile. If you want to delete all Facebook posts in one go, you need to use Social Book Post Manager and run the job choosing “Select All” in both Year and Month filters.
You may need to slow down the speed if you want the process to work reliably and wait for it to be completed. Depending on the number of posts you have and the speed you selected, the process might even take a few hours. The information on the Chrome extension page suggests that you might even have to execute it a few times f0r it to delete all your posts.
How do you mass delete Facebook posts on iPhone?
To mass-delete Facebook posts on iPhone, launch the app, go to your profile and click on Manage Posts. Here, you’ll be able to select your posts for mass deletion. You can even use certain filters to help you find the posts that you want to delete. You can find more information about this process in this article.
How do I clear my timeline on Facebook?
There are several ways to clear your Facebook timeline. You can hide or delete individual posts from your timeline, by clicking on the three dots adjacent to a particular post, and choose Delete or Hide from timeline from the available options. You can refer to Facebook’s official help page on this topic.
Alternatively, you can also go to Manage Posts available from your Facebook profile and selectively delete posts from your timeline in bulk. A third-party Chrome extension called Social Book Post Manager also helps you automate the process of deleting multiple posts from your Activity log and timeline, based on certain conditions.