While playing a YouTube video, you might come across a good music track that’s playing in the background. If you’re unfamiliar with the music, it might be difficult to find the song or music track playing in the background of the video.
Fortunately, if you search methodically, you can easily identify the artist and the title of a song playing in the background of a YouTube video. In this article, we’ll explore a few strategies to do just that.
Identify the background music in YouTube videos
You might be able to know what song is playing in the background of a YouTube video by using the following methods.
Identify music from YouTube Shorts
If you’re trying to find the music from a YouTube Shorts clip, it’s rather easy to find the original music directly from the Shorts. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the YouTube Shorts video from which you want to identify the song or music in the background, on your iPhone or Android device. Ensure that the video opens in the Shorts tab of the YouTube app, and not as a regular video.
- Tap or click on the Music icon from the bottom-right corner (next to the Subscribe button).
- If there’s a music track in the background of the Shorts video, the song title and artist should be displayed now. To find and play the original song or music on YouTube, tap the “>” icon from the right side, adjacent to the song and artist information on the same screen.
This will take you to the official video of the track. Alternatively, if the above method doesn’t work for you, continue reading below to identify and find the background music from it.
Check description and comments
Sometimes, the video uploader may provide the music information with the relevant links in the video description. They may also be available in timestamps provided by the uploader.
To view the video description on YouTube, do the following:
- Open the YouTube video URL on your favorite desktop browser or the YouTube app for iOS or Android.
- If you’re on a computer, scroll below the video and click “SHOW MORE” to expand the video description. On iOS or Android, tap the small arrow right below the video frame in the YouTube app to expand the description.
- Look for the music info in the description.
If the uploader hasn’t added music or song information in the description of the video, look in the comments section and check if any other user has commented with the same information.
Use music identification apps
If you can’t find the song or artist info in the YouTube description or comments, you can use a music identification app like Shazam to identify the song playing in the background of the video. Alternatively, you can ask voice assistants like Siri, Google Assistant, or Alexa to identify the song for you.
If you’re using a computer, the Chrome extension called AHA Music is also great for this purpose. It can attempt to identify the song or music from any website within the browser.
To start identifying, click the extension from the Chrome menu on a web page with the audio playing. If a match is found, AHA will provide links from multiple streaming services where you can stream the song directly.
Search the lyrics
In the unlikely event that you’re still trying to figure out what song was playing in the background of that YouTube video, there’s still one more trick left to try.
If the particular song has lyrics that you understand, you can search google with the words or lines from the song and see if you get a name in the results. If you can’t identify the song from the search results, you can use any search engine built specifically for lyrics search. Some of the popular lyrics search engines are as follows:
We hope that by now, you were able to identify the music playing in a YouTube video. Check out our other articles for more tips, tricks, and solutions like these.