Apple just released iOS 15.1, iPadOS 15.1, and macOS Monterey, which brings screen sharing natively on iPhone, iPad, and Mac, over FaceTime calls.
In this article, we’ll explore how to use screen sharing on iPhone, iPad, and Mac via FaceTime
How to share screen on FaceTime
For screen sharing to work, you should be using an iPhone or iPad running the latest iOS or iPadOS firmware (15.1 & above).
The below steps will guide you to share your screen from iPhone or iPad via FaceTime:
- Open the FaceTime app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Invite others to join your FaceTime by tapping on the Create Link or New FaceTime button. Wait for them to join.
- Once the call has started and others have joined, tap on the last icon among the call controls (with a screen and person) from the top-right corner of the screen and select Share My Screen. The screen sharing session will start and people on the call will be able to view your screen.
- Finally, when you want to end screen sharing, simply tap on the Sharing button (with the screen and person icon) again from the top-right corner.
Native screen sharing on iPhone, iPad via FaceTime is still pretty basic compared to other third-party alternatives. There is still no annotation feature available yet, and you can’t pass screen control to other call participants as of now.
But as Apple tries to compete with the likes of Zoom or Google Meet, these features are sure to arrive sooner or later. Until then, screen sharing is limited to only viewing the presenter’s screen.
Share screen between two Macs
Although screen sharing via FaceTime is a new feature for iPhone and iPad, Macs have long been able to initiate and participate in one-to-one screen sharing, along with passing control to the other user, as and when required.
Until Screen Sharing is enabled in FaceTime, here is how you can view and control the screen of another Mac user:
- Open the Messages app on your Mac.
- Select the contact with whom you want to share the screen. If the contact is not already available, create a new chat by clicking the New Message icon from the top-right corner above the Search bar.
- Tap on the little “i” button from the top-right corner of the Messages window. The contact options will be revealed.
Click on share.
- If you want to share your screen, select Invite to Share My Screen. Otherwise, if you want to view or control another user’s screen, select Ask to Screen Share.
When the other user accepts your invitation, a new screen-sharing session will start. To end screen sharing, click the End button from the top-right corner of the screen.
Now you know how to share screen via FaceTime on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.